Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Outside Reading #1

For my outside reading book I am reading The Book Thief.  The book is different from most of the other books I have read.  The overall book itself is an easy read, but it's filled with vocabulary words that I don't know, which makes it more difficult to read.  The author also writes a few words in German which makes it hard to understand as well.  The book is also written in a unique way that is hard to describe.  The story is told in a very matter-of-fact way.  It has little paragraphs, almost like headlines, spaced in between the paragraphs that basically stop the story to answer a question, and then the story proceeds (kind of like in The Princess Bride when the grandpa talks about the book to his grandson, and the story takes a break).  The book is told from death's perspective.  I think it's interesting the way the story is told.  The book seems as if it is more about the "story of the story" than the "story of the characters", if that makes sense.  The book so far is about a girl living with her foster parents to escape the violence of WW2, and she stole a book, that she can't read.  I am just in the beginning and the story is still building so I don't have anything to say about it now, just that the book itself is interesting.  So far it is good.       

No comments: